My Family

My Family

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Meatloaf and Microwave Potatoes

Here is my second family recipe (I'm trying new recipes for a cookbook I'm making) - I made my Aunt Anna's Meatloaf. Now, what you probably need to know is... I've never made meatloaf for my family. Seriously. When I said I was making meatloaf, my kids were, like, "What's that?". My husband said that the meatloaf he's had has always been dry. So, NOT ENTHUSIASTIC, is pretty much how everyone felt. But, I trust my Aunt's recipe so, here it is...

Meatloaf by Annemarie Anderson

2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
(I added about 2 T. Worcestershire sauce too)

Mix all together and put in a loaf pan.

Sauce
1/3 cup catsup
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. prepared mustard


Pour sauce over the top of meat and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

For side dishes, we cooked frozen peas, and I tried a recipe for potatoes - from my Grandma Evans:

Slice potatoes (I used red potatoes). Put in a bowl (I used a pie dish). Top with mushroom soup mix and sliced onions. Add a small amount of water. Top with cheese. Cook in the microwave until vegetables are tender. I had to adapt this recipe a little - I ended up layering all of the above until the dish was full. They turned out kind of like Au Grautin Potatoes. Mmmmm... yummy.

I have to say, this dinner was GREAT! My family raved about it. The meat was soooo tender, the potatoes very tasty, and the peas were... peas. The only thing a few of them didn't like was the sauce - but I thought it was yummy. Here's the finished plate of food...


So, now you've got my Aunt's meatloaf recipe, and my grandmother's potato recipe. Don't say that you've got nothing to cook for dinner!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys