My Family

My Family

Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's been a CRAZY week - I had surgery on Monday, and it wiped me out! I haven't done anything on this blog for a whole week. Last weekend I went with my husband, Rick, to Las Vegas. He rode his new bike, with some of his high school friends, on a 100 kilometer ride through the Valley of Fire. I drove one of the support vehicles. The ride was named Carma's Cin City Century. It was an interesting day. Saturday started out just fine - a big breakfast at Carma's house - lots of eggs, waffles, bagels, etc. Here is the group picture before we started...

Left to right - Rick, Lori, Jill, Carma, Phil, Shari and Jeff with their son and nephew, Rick, Torsten, and Angie.
I'm so impressed with these guys - they are in such great shape at 46 years of age. Seriously. Wow. Look how great the guys look - and the women are gorgeous! (Angie - far right - is NOT 46, she is much younger!)
Here is one of the vehicles, loaded up with bikes...

The most exciting thing that happened that day involved this truck. See all of those bikes in the back? They were covered up with blankets - to keep them from bumping into each other. Rick and I were in the Pilot - driving behind this truck - and noticed that the blankets were whipping around. We worried that one of them would fly out. Jeff, who was driving the truck, stopped and tucked the blankets back in, and took off again. All of a sudden, a semi truck passed Jeff's truck, and the updraft from the semi caught one of the blankets and sucked a bike right out of the truck! We watched as the bike went airborn - about 20 feet, and then came crashing down - bouncing on one wheel (that busted in half) and crashing to the ground. Thanks to Rick yelling "Holy Crap!" (NOT his real words - haha!), I slammed on my brakes and swerved, avoiding being hit by the bike. Rick jumped out of the car and picked the bike up before someone hit it. We threw it into the back of the truck and drove the 1/2 mile to the exit. We had no idea whose bike it was. Here's a picture of the bike - it's amazing, but the frame wasn't really hurt that much...

The bike was Lori's and we were actually able to make a call and borrow some wheels to put on the bike. She was able to ride - but it put us behind a couple of hours. It was around 12:00-12:30 when we finally got started. Here are a couple of pics of the riders getting ready and then Carma riding out in front...






The ride was good, the hills were tough, but they all did well. At about 43 miles, it got too dark to ride, so we called it a day - we then went to a place called Warm Springs, an LDS church camping area with the nicest pools. The riders got to swim and soak in the warm water. Everyone had a great time!






Thanks to Carma and Phil for putting the ride together.

Rick loves doing stuff like this, and I was so inspired by all of the bikers. Torsten asked me if I'd be riding next year - yeah. NO. But, maybe I'll be in better shape, thanks to the examples of everyone there. LOVE these guys!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys