My Family

My Family

Friday, July 3, 2009

A Permanent Change...

Well, my oldest just moved out. It's happened before, but it wasn't really permanent. The first time he moved out it was only for the semester. The second time he moved out, it was for 2 years - out of the country - but he still came back. This time is the real thing. And I'm not ready. He's been home from his mission to Japan for 3 months. That's just not long enough for me (but plenty long enough for him, I'm sure). I had forgotten how much I enjoyed his sense of humor and his "know everything" approach to life. He makes me laugh. All the time. I did enjoy those 3 months. After waiting for 2 years to hear his voice say "Hi, Mom!" when he answered his cell phone, it's great to hear it again. I feel like going on a walk down memory lane, so here goes...

There's my little munchkin - on the left. What an incredibly cute little boy. Here is he now:

What an incredibly cute big boy. See, aren't you sad for me?!

Well, life goes on and so I guess it's cool that he is moving forward. Here a few words of wisdom for you, Grant...
1. Call your mom (that's me!) at least once a week (Dad did this the whole time we lived away from Utah - 12 years! Really.)
2. Eat. Don't forget. It's really important.
3. Don't stay up too late. You'll just regret it in the morning when you have to get to class.
4. Keep your apartment clean. If you don't, you'll get sick.
5. If you get sick, come home and I'll take care of you.
6. Come home (your real home) and visit once in a while. Bring your dirty laundry, and tell me how hungry you've been. I'll most likely take you grocery shopping for food.
7. Take some time to just relax. Play your guitar, watch a movie, or listen to music. RELAX.
8. Remember how important your friends are. Go and visit them. Often.
9. Remember how fun it can be to hang with your little brothers. Don't be a stranger.
10. Know that we love you and miss you. And, most importantly, you'll always have a place here at home.

Darn, it's so hard to say "so long" to your children (I mean, your young adults.) I'm lucky that he's so close though. (In distance and to me). So, although this is pretty much a permanent change, lots of good will come of it. Plus, it's good practice for when he really moves - away. Out of the country. Yeah. That one will be way harder to deal with. I should just thank my lucky stars he's still close by.

Grant, have a GREAT time! Ciao, baby!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hang in there! It gets easier- sometimes. You had alot longer with him then I did with Nate! WOW- 14 days and my baby is getting MARRIED!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys