My Family

My Family

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Missionary Work

Today we attending the "homecoming" report of one of Grant's friends, Brady Rice. He gave a great talk. He brought up one of the young men he baptized in Taiwan and had him bear his testimony. It was incredible hearing a testimony in another language and being able to feel the love he has for the gospel and the faith that he has developed - all of this despite me not understanding the language. Brady talked about the fact that there is really only one thing that is important in life. That is working on perfecting ourselves and sharing the gospel with others, so we may all return to Heavenly Father. Hmmmm. That sounded like more than one thing, but anyway...

I helped my oldest son, Grant, and his friends keep in touch throughout their missions (there were 28 of them!) with a monthly newsletter. When I was diagnosed with cancer and got sick, I stopped doing a monthly newsletter and have only done one or two here and there. It's always made me feel bad - like I let them down, or something. Like I left something really important undone. But, today, after officially "meeting" a few of those from the newsletter who had returned, I'm feeling a little bit better about it. A few of them reassured me that during the first year, it was such an important thing to them, but during the second year, they were ok. They were so involved in the important things they were doing in their own little areas of the world. They didn't really need that support as much, I guess. That's good. I hate leaving things half done. It was such a privilege to have participated in their lives for that short amount of time. I love every one of those guys. They are such a great group of men and such a blessing in Grant's life and our lives.

So, today, another mission "era" starts (or actually, continues). One of Michael's best friends, Garrett, opened a mission call to Brazil! His other really good friend, Stuart, is right now in the MTC. And Michael is working hard to prepare to turn his papers in and go on a mission.

I love missionaries and mission work. Because of missionary work, we now have a connection to the people of Japan! Who would have ever thought that would happen? What a privilege to be the mother of these young men. Such choice spirits. Such strong convictions. Such faith. It humbles me.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys