My Family

My Family

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Reluctant Readers Beware...

Thursday is book review day and I've picked a set of hilarious childrens book to talk about: The "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series.

I bought the first book in this great series for my son, Matthew, who, at the time, was 11 years old. Matthew likes to read, but doesn't read a lot. I thought this book might get him more interested in books. He LOVED it! My son, Alex, who is 14, has read the first book as well. He couldn't put it down!

Jeff Kinney (the author) has created a really cool set of books. These books are written just like a diary - lined pages with "hand-written" entries and "hand-drawn" illustrations. This is the diary of Greg Heffley, a kid who is in middle school and is pretty much a wimp. He's very funny, too. Here are a couple of excerpts from the first book:

Saturday - "Most kids wake up early on Saturday to watch cartoons or whatever, but not me. The only reason I get out of bed at all on weekends is because eventually, I can't stand the taste of my own breath anymore."

Wednesday - "[There is a] piece of cheese that has been sitting on the blacktop since last spring. This kid named Darren Walsh touched the Cheese with his finger, and that's what started this thing called the Cheese Touch. It's basically like the Cooties. If you get the Cheese Touch, you're stuck with it until you pass it on to some else. The only way to protect yourself from the Cheese Touch is to cross your fingers. But it's not that easy remembering to keep your fingers crossed every moment of the day. I ended up taping mine together so they'd stay crossed all the time. I got a D in handwriting, but it was totally worth it."

Haha! The journal entries are funny, but the illustrations are my favorite part.

So, there are 3 books (so far) in the series:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw

There is also a very cool "Do-It-Yourself Book". This is a fun fill-in-the blank kind of book. Your son/daughter will have hours of fun writing in this book. Some of the pages included in this book are: List Your Injuries (with a picture of a body), Practice Your Signature, Five Things Nobody Knows About You, The Baddest Thing You Ever Did As A Little Kid. About half of the book is just lined pages - a place for your young writers to put some of their own thoughts down. I just love this do-it-yourself book!

I've been able to find most of these books at Costco for $7.49 each (hardbound). I bought the do-it-yourself book (paperback) at Scholastic books. Look for these books in the book orders that your older kids bring home.

By-the-way, I LOVE reading these books as well. They are very entertaining. Kids of any age will really enjoy this series.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys