My Family

My Family

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cherish Bound book idea: Overcoming Challenges

We all have challenges and trials in our lives. I think it's important to record what those challenges are and how we have overcome them. One of the things I like about Cherish Bound is that it offers a simple way to record those challenges and triumphs. My book idea/suggestion for this week involves a book that I just finished and one that I intend to write soon.

My cousin, Sara, and her husband, Stephano, welcomed a beautiful baby girl to their family last year. She was born too early and has had heart problems since the beginning. In order to keep everyone informed about Baby Stella's condition (she spent several months at Primary Children's Hospital), they used an online journal. I kept up with Baby Stella faithfully - reading their daily posts. A few weeks after they started journaling, I decided that I wanted to do a book for them about Stella's difficult journey - this was a story that needed to be told. Over the course of a few months, I've cut and pasted all of their journal entries into a book, using the online tool at Cherish Bound. I added pictures as they posted them. I just finished their book today, and I'm so excited to give it to them. What an important time in Stella young life and how wonderful that when she gets older, she can sit down with this beautiful book and read the words of her mother and father - learning how much they went through, how strong she was, and what an incredible family she belongs to. I didn't add one word - Sara and Stephano provided a beautiful description of that trying time. It's been one of the easiest books I've done (so simple to just cut and paste and upload pictures), but one of the most beautiful. I can't wait to see their faces when they get it.

Have you ever been through a trials and thought maybe your experiences would help someone else? Well, then, write those experiences down! I've been battling breast cancer for 8 months. The lessons I've learned about overcoming difficulties, as well as the strength I've gain, will hopefully help my children and grandchildren someday. That's why I've decided to start working on my own story about overcoming challenges.

If you don't know how to go about writing your story, Cherish Bound has a wonderful tool called a Story Starter that can help. Each Story Starter is full of questions to get your thoughts flowing, and sample quotes and stories. We have over 35 Story Starters - and there is one just for the subject I've been talking about. It's called: A Change In Plans.

Here are a few sample questions from A Change In Plans:
1. Describe the day that you learned about your disability or condition.
2. What was your initial reaction?
3. Did your life permanently change as a result of this condition?
4. Define courage. Define patience.

So, can you see how just having a few questions to think about can help you start to write your story? I love these story starters. Especially because the questions help me remember things that I wouldn't remember otherwise.

Challenge: Go ahead... think of a time in your life when you've been faced with a challenge and start writing. And remember: if you need help telling your story, or want to buy one of Cherish Bound's incredible tools, contact me at kara@cherishbound.com. Ask me about the Power of STORY!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys