My Family

My Family

Friday, March 13, 2009

Fun Friday

I'm excited about today's blog. This is the first Fun Friday Tips that I've done. My Friday blogs will be for quotes, tips, recipes, etc.

Earlier this week I found a picture among my son's stuff from Japan - in the picture, Grant list things we should "Take time to..." do. I've been looking forward to sharing it with you:

Take time to think, it is the source of power.
Take time to read, it is the foundation of wisdom.
Take time to play, it is the secret of staying young.
Take time to be quiet, it is the opportunity to seek God.
Take time to be aware, it is the opportunity to help other.
Take time to love and be loved, it is God’s greatest gift.
Take time to laugh, it is the music of the soul.
Take time to be friendly, it is the road to happiness.
Take time to dream, it is what the future is made of.
Take time to pray, it is the greatest power on earth.

I really like the reminders this gives us - all good advice. Grant actually wrote it out in Japanese Kanji - pictured here. Cool, huh?


QUOTE OF THE DAY: (I've had this hanging by my boys' rooms for years)
"Try not to be a man of success, but rather of man of value."
--Albert Einstein

DIET TIP OF THE DAY: (this is for me more than anyone else!)
Is it worth it? Everyone likes to enjoy an occasional dietary indulgence now and then. But before you open a bag of chips or the lid of a pizza box, consider what it will take to burn off that splurge....

Ice Cream - 1/2 cup (270 calories, 17 g fat)
Work it off with...
70 minutes of walking, 29 minutes running, 33 minutes swimming, 46 minutes dancing, 38 minutes biking, 92 minutes yoga

Potato Chips - 1 ounce (155 calories, 11 g fat)
40 minutes of walking, 17 minutes running, 19 minutes swimming, 26 minutes dancing, 22 minutes biking, 53 minutes yoga

Sandwich Cookies - 3 cookies (160 calories, 7 g fat)
41 minutes of walking, 17 minutes running, 19 minutes swimming, 27 minutes dancing, 23 minutes biking, 54 minutes yoga

Cheese Pizza - 1 slice (330 calories, 11 g fat)
85 minutes of walking, 35 minutes running, 40 minutes swimming, 56 minutes dancing, 47 minutes biking, 112 minutes yoga

YIKES! (This is from Better Homes and Gardens Diet 2009 magazine)

SPRING CLEANING TIPS: (It's that time again - at least for me. Windows are a big problem at our house, simply because we have so many. My husband refuses to hire someone to clean them, so he does them himself. Here are some pretty good tips to make the job easier...)

* Make your own spray cleaner. Fill a spray bottle with 3 tablespoons ammonia, 1 tablespoon vinegar & the remainder with water.
* Dust blinds by wrapping a cloth around a ruler. Spray cloth with a dusting spray and run the flat end across each blind.
* Shine windows using old newspaper.
* Clean windows on an average temperature, preferably overcast day to avoid streaks.
* Dry windows outside in one direction then inside in the other direction. If you see a streak, you will know which side is the offender.
* To clean window sills, pour diluted rubbing alcohol on a cloth and rub the entire surface.Then dust off the sill with a clean cloth.

RECIPE OF THE DAY: (I'm going to share my favorite recipe - this is a sweet bread recipe that is a huge hit wherever I take it. I found this recipe years ago in a Bed and Breakfast cookbook from back East. I only make it maybe once or twice a year, because it's pretty heavy on the oil. You'll love it - I promise!)

POPPY SEED TEA BREAD
3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. butter flavor
2 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. and 2 T. vegetable oil
1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 t. almond flavor
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients well for 2 minutes. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake for 60 minutes. (Sometimes it takes longer - bake until golden on top - don't overbake). Cool in the pans for 10 minutes - then take out of pans.

Glaze:
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
1/2 t. almond flavor
3/4 sugar
1/2 t. vegetable oil
1/2 t. vanilla
Heat in saucepan until sugar melts. Prick top of bread - cover with glaze (cover the entire loaf - sides as well as top). Use all of the glaze.

Mmmmmmmm!

SONG OF THE DAY is posted on the left side of the blog page - under "About Me". This is a song by Colbie Caillat, and it's called "Realize". I love her voice! Go ahead and push play and listen.

That's it for today. Have a Fun Friday!
-Kara

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys