My Family

My Family

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eight Stages of Successful Missionary Work

I'm pretending that today is Monday so that I can blog about Missionary Moments (which I missed yesterday). Plus I don't really want to write about My Cancer Journey or Cherish Bound today. :-)

If you are familiar with the Book of Mormon, you'll perhaps recognize these eight stages of missionary work from Alma, chapters 17 and 18. In chapter 17, Alma the Younger meets his friends, the Sons of Mosiah, after they have been away, preaching the gospel to the Lamanites for 14 years. When he meets them, he rejoices that they are still his brethren "in the Lord". At the beginning of chapter 17, there is a wonderful description of these men: "...they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God. But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with the power and authority of God." Words that should describe every missionary!

At this point in chapter 17, we "flashback" to the beginning of their missions and learn about the things they've been doing for the past decade. We learn of Ammon first: Ammon is on his mission to the Lamanites and is trying to convert King Lamoni. Ammon is a wonderful missionary and he fits the Lord's definition of greatness, found in Matthew 23:11 - "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant."
Ammon Defending the King's Flocks

Eight Stages of Successful Missionary Work...
1. EXEMPLIFY. "Show forth good examples unto them in me" (Alma 17:11)
2. SERVE. "I will be thy servant" (Alma 17:25)
3. WIN HEARTS. "...that I may win the hearts of these my fellow-servants, that I may lead them to believe in my words" (Alma 17:29)
4. BEFRIEND. "We do know...that he is a friend" (Alma 18:3)
5. EXAMPLE STIRS CONSCIENCE. "They supposed that whatsoever they did was right; nevertheless, Lamoni began to fear exceedingly, with fear lest he had done wrong" (Alma 18:5)
6. BE A FAITHFUL SERVANT. "There has not been any servant...that has been so faithful" (Alma 18:10)
7. SPEAK WITH INSPIRATION. "How knowest thou the thoughts of my heart? Thou mayest speak boldly" (Alma 18:20)
8. LOVE "EVERY CREATURE". "They could not bear that any human soul should perish" (Mosiah 28:3)

I'm sure my son, Grant, has learned the success of each of these stages throughout his mission. I think one of the most valuable is SERVICE. Just serve others and you will be a successful missionary - one that people will remember.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys