My Family

My Family

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

TUESDAY TALES & MEMORIES - Dinosaurs!!

"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the planet, but they are alive and well in our imaginations." -Steve Miller, Freaks!

Dinosaurs are a big attraction to little boys, and I've got four of them (boys, not dinosaurs). I've been looking through some pictures because I remembered a hilarious one that involves the boys and dinosaurs. This picture shows Alex sitting on his dad's shoulders, screaming at the top of his lungs, while behind him looms a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex. Also in the picture, of course, is Rick - the guy who is suppose to save little Alex from the big, bad dinosaur, but instead of running away, Rick is standing there, laughing! Unfortunately I can't find that exact picture (doesn't it just drive you crazy when that happens?!) But, here is another dinosaur with Alex crying in front... (and Rick laughing, of course)



Let's clear a few things up: First, said dinosaur was indeed huge, but was NOT real (are you surprised by this?). It was, however, making a very real sounding dino growl. In fact, if you closed your eyes, and listened, it did sound like the dinosaur was very close, and was going to be enjoying a meal consisting of Alex at any moment. Second, Alex was probably 2. He had no idea the dino wasn't real. Third, Alex's hero was his dad, so when Rick chose to laugh instead of run, he moved down the ladder a couple of rungs in Alex's eyes.

I have to admit, though, it was HILARIOUS! Just look at Alex's face! (He was actually trying to crawl over top of Rick's head to get away from the dinosaur in the picture that I couldn't find.) *snicker* And this amused his brothers to no end.

As I thought about dinosaurs, I realized that we've been lots of places to "see the dinosaurs". We are just miles from the world's largest dinosaur museum - Thanksgiving Point - and have visited a couple of times. We've been to St. George to see the Dinosaur Discovery Site at the Johnson Farm. We've taken the kids to Dinosaur National Monument - near Vernal, UT. The Dinosaur park we visited (where the dino almost ate Alex) is up near the Ogden area of Utah. And I hear that Hogle Zoo, in Salt Lake City, now has a dinosaur exhibit. I guess we'd better load the (not so little) boys up, and visit Hogle Zoo soon. If I remember right, we also had a dinosaur room for Grant and Michael in Pennsylvania. Oh, and I can't forget the dinosaur underwear that all of the kids wore.

Here's some more fun dino pictures I found...

This is in Park City - their balloon festival in 1989, or something like that...


This is my friend LoriAnne with my boys, walking past that huge T-Rex...

This is a dino birthday party we had - wish we could see it better...

This is a picture of my kids (top row) and my nephews (Kris's kids)... and a disembodied dino head - no wonder they don't look worried...

Here are the boys with a giant Triceratops...
If you click on this picture, it will be enlarged, and you can see little Matthew in front of that same big T-Rex, and he looks pretty worried...

Here, Grant and Michael dig for dinosaur bones with their friends, Jeff and Riley...

And here is another cousin picture in front of an other Triceratops...


I read this quote that I think explains the fascination my kids had/have with dinosaurs:

"It's very simple why kids are crazy about dinosaurs -- dinosaurs are nature's Special Effects. They are the only real dragons. Kids love dragons. It's not just being weirdly shaped and being able to eat Buicks. It's that they are real." -ROBERT T. BAKKER, Honolulu Advertiser

I've even saved a bunch of the boys' dinosaurs for my grand-kiddoes. I can't wait to show them the joys of dinosaurs. ("They" don't actually exist yet.)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys