My Family

My Family

Monday, May 23, 2011

My Boys - The Similarities and the Differences

Last Thursday, I was reminded once again of the difference between my boys. I've always been fascinated with the fact that Grant and Alex are SO much alike: both artists, musicians, good students, athletes, etc. I've also been fascinated that Michael and Matthew are SO much alike: Both quiet, VERY smart, love science and math, etc. Grant and Alex are 6 years apart, and Michael and Matthew are 7 years apart. It's weird. They even look alike - kind of now, but especially when they were young...

GRANT

ALEX

MICHAEL

MATTHEW


SEE?!

So, I'm not surprised that on Thursday, at Matthew's band concert, this likeness once again was manifested. Matthew told us he had a band concert, and asked if we would come and record the songs he played. He is in both the Concert Band, and the 2nd Jazz Band.

Side note: I NEVER hear him practice at home, so I really would have no idea if he can play or not. In fact, I just recently found out how good he is, when we started practicing for the Solo Night a few months ago. We had only a few days to pick a song and learn it. I was very stressed out, and even more freaked out. Then, Matthew picked up his saxophone, and this beautiful music just came right out. To say I was stunned - floored - amazed - all understatements!

Back to the band concert on Thursday - we all decided to go and hear Matthew's band play. The Jazz Band was first. They played a great jazz number first. And then, Mr. Bateman got up to announce the next number, and who the soloists would be. And guess who's name came out of his mouth?! Yep. Matthew soloed. I about had a heart attack. He can ad-lib??!!! WHAT????!!! I sat there with my heart in my mouth, and then he got right up, went to the microphone, belted out this great solo, and sat back down. Just like that. No warning ("Mom, I'm going to solo tonight - can you come and hear it?"). Nothing. And this is where the likeness with Michael, and the difference between him and Grant and Alex come in...

Grant and Alex have always told us everything! They seem to need to have us know everything that is going on in their lives. And then there's Michael and Matthew. They never tell us things. It's just not necessary for them to publish any accomplishments at all. We tend to hear about their adventures after the fact. When Matthew's name was said over the microphone, you could have knocked me over with a feather! We all just looked at each other, and our mouths dropped open. "What?" What if I wouldn't have gone?! Geez.

Funny, funny kids. I love them TO DEATH! Both my outspoken, me-me-me kiddos, and my quiet kiddos. LOVE THEM!

3 comments:

FAMEDS said...

Hi Kara,

Great to stumble on your blog. Best of luck with everything in life! Have you heard about FAMEDS cause? As the only patient advocate non-profit org fighting the FDA for Avastin to continued to be used by 17,500 women with metastatic breast cancer. Please sign and share the petition: http://fameds.org/petition.php

Jodi said...

Trying to think how I arrived here! Oh, I am "supposed" to be preparing a talk for sacrament meeting on Women and Motherhood and I googled Incredible Women and it took me to your Incredible Women blog. Then I read about you on Start Up Princess and then this one! Whew! I just HAD to comment though because I am the mother of all boys as well! I have five! Four living. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the black and white photo of yours where they are standing all GQ looking. LOVE IT! I am going to have to do that with mine. They are close in age to yours, ranging from 26 to 14. Anyway, just had to say hi! Stop by my blog anytime!

Stephen and Debbie said...

You were blessed with great kids! It is really interesting what each boy is like... even from the same family! God is amazing!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys