My Family

My Family

Friday, January 22, 2010

Chef Matthew


My youngest son, Matthew, is a really great cook. I guess he learned young. I went off to work, after being a full-time stay-at-home-mom forever, when he went into 1st grade. That was 6-7 years ago. Rick always used to say, "Poor kid, has to cook for himself." - while he watched Matthew cooking eggs in the electric frying pan that was on the counter (the top of his head would just barely clear the counter). It was a pretty funny sight. So, what can I say - the kid learned to take care of himself. Is that so bad?! He'll thank me when he's older. Really. I don't feel guilty. At. All.

I'm actually pretty proud of him - especially when I see something like this...


Ok, so, he was really hungry a few hours ago - he didn't eat lunch (because the "only decent food - pizza - was gone" by the time he got there.). Then he asks, "Mom, do we have any vegetables?" "Yes", says I (phew). "There should be broccoli, pea pods, carrots, stuff like that." "Well, do we have any onions?" (What kid asks for onions?!) "Yes, I think so." I asked him what he was going to make and he told me... "Ramen, like Grant does. (Grant is the oldest - and went to Japan on his LDS mission, where he learned to make Ramen.) A few more questions - "What do I use in the bottom of the pan?" "Olive Oil." "Is this onion still good?" "Just cut the bad parts off - it should be fine." (This whole time I'm sitting on my butt, watching TV. In my defense, I was watching this great Glen Beck documentary.)

The next thing I know, this heavenly smell - I kid you not - wafts through the house. I get up from the couch, and go to see what's goin' on. He's got three pans on the stove - one cooking the veggies, one cooking Ramen, and one cooking a hard-boiled egg. 5 minutes later, he's finished! Combine all of the ingredients, carefully balance the chop sticks on the bowl, and voila! A masterpiece! He called for the camera - snap, snap - and then told me to upload the pics onto the computer while he eats. Here's another shot of the masterpiece. He made the veggies into a smiling face on top of the noodles. I'm not sure if I can really see it - but he swears it's there...


What an amazing kid. Oh, and he also does his own laundry - AND, he also can clean a bathroom like you've never seen! Now, I don't want to hear from any of you about neglect, ok? (I don't work outside of the home, anymore, and I try to be here whenever he is - not because he needs me, but because I love to be here when my kids are. They CRACK. ME. UP.) Believe me, his wife will one day LOVE me for "neglecting" him! ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good kid! Speaking from being the youngest... People think we have it all easy! I was doing my own laundry and food at his age. My mom was tired. She had SO many kids! The least I could do was help her out with my own raising. :) Send him our way to make that dish...

Karen M. Peterson said...

Encourage that whole cooking thing.

My roommate, David, has been cooking since he was little. His mom always encouraged it. Bought him cook books and kitchen supplies and whatnot. He's in culinary school now and he's VERY good.

Rebecca said...

Looks great! Greg likes to cook, but usually sticks to cookies and brownies--all the sweet stuff. I've often told Greg that cooking, makes guys much more attractive to girls. Most women want men who can cook. I didn't get that in my husband, but I'm aiming for it in my sons. (P.S. My husband cleans house, folds clothes, and fixes anything broken without being asked, so I gave up that part of the dream to have all my other wishes fulfilled.)

Grant Herron said...

He's turning Japanese. I think he's turning Japanese. I really think so.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Gorgeous Boys

My Gorgeous Boys